2016. Vol.19. No. 3, pp. 59-61
Metal Coercivity as a Measure of Microdamages for Evaluation of Fatigue and Recovery of Mechanical Properties
Method. Two batches of 40X steel cylindrical samples in the delivery condition were put to cyclic tests. The both batches were tested in the same range of tension amplitudes but for the second batch the tests were carried out in two steps with intermediate surface plastic deformation. The change in the level of accumulated fatigue damage was determined by the coercive force method.
Results. The most significant coercive force increase (up to 1.5%) was observed in the initial stages of the specimens’ elongation. For samples subjected to preliminary cyclic loading, surface plastic deformation leads to lower coercive force values (by 9%–17%) and to 2.8–3.4 times longer operating life. This effect can be explained by “healing” the accumulated defects by the surface treatment.
Discussion. The results indicate high sensitivity of the coercive force to changes in structural state of the metal as a result of both fatigue damage accumulation and partial recovery of the metal structure due to defect “healing”.
Keywords: cyclic loading, degradation of structure, coercive force, surface plastic deformation, defects “healing”
- Popov B.E., Kotelnikov V.S., Zarudny A.V., Levin E.A., Bezlyudko G.Ya. Bezopasnost truda v promyshlennosti [Occupational Safety in Industry]. 2011, no. 2, pp. 44-49 (in Russ.).
- Matsevityi V.M., Bezlyudko G.Ya, Kazak I.B., Vakulenko K.V., Belous E.V. Strength of Materials. 2012, no. 3, pp. 333-336.
- Matsevityi V.M., Bezlyudko G.Ya. 10th European Conference on Nondestructive Testing. Abstracts, part 2. Moscow, 2010, June 7–11, pp. 278–279.
- Ostash O.P., Voldemarov O. V., Gladysh P.V. Fizyko-himichna mehanika materialiv [Physico-Chemical Mechanics of Materials]. 2013, no. 5, pp. 98-111 (in Ukranian).
- Bezlyudko G.Ya., Zavalnyuk O.P., Nesterenko V.B., Marchenko A.Yu., Solomaha R.N. Tekhnicheskaya diagnostika i nerazrushayushchiy control [Technical Diagnostics and Nondestructive Testing]. 2012, no. 3, pp. 57-65 (in Russ.).
- Matsevityi V.M., Vakulenko K.V., Kazak I.B. Problemy mashinostroeniya [Problems of Mechanical Engineering]. 2012, v. 15, no. 5-6, pp. 66-76 (in Russ.).