2016. Vol.19. No. 3, pp. 30-33
Validation of an Ultrasonic-Phased Array Method for Testing of Circumferential Welds at Thin-Walled Pipes
Method. In that article we will present a successful validation of an ultrasonic-phased- array method for testing circumferential welds at thin-walled pipes with a wall thickness lower than 6 mm. Therefore, the complete geometry area was divided into several clusters, and single elements of that matrix were validated. The procedure conforms to the guideline VGB R-516 and other established standards. Besides theoretical analysis including simulations of the sound paths and reflections, extensive practical tests were performed. For this purpose six typical types of defects were analyzed by using a large number of test samples and the probability of detection was determined using this practical method.
Result. The result of this work is a report for validation for each geometry cluster of the pipes including an inspection instruction and a qualification instruction for the testing equipment and the calibration samples.
Conclusion. Based on that validations the ultrasonic-phased-array method was accepted by the inspecting authorities and thereby allowed to use in the regulated area of coal-fired power plants by a NDT-service provider and was applied very successful at several thousand welds.
Keywords: validation, ultrasonic testing, phased array transducers, radiation inspection
- Das A. K., Hembram S., Chand S. et al. Application of Advanced NDE for Health & Life Assessment of Power Plant Components — Some Case Studies. — In: 14th Asia Pacific Conf. on NDT (APCNDT). — Mumbai (India), 18–22 November 2013.
- Wiggenhauser H., Helmerich R., Krause M. et al. Non-destructive Testing of Nuclear Power Plant Concrete Structures State of the Art Report, October 2013.
- Hillmann S., Schiller-Bechert D.-M., Bor Z., Uhlemann F. HUGE-NDT: New Ultrasonic Phased Array Method for characterizing circumferential welds at thin- walled pipes. — In: ASNT Fall Conf. — Charleston (USA), 26–30.10. 2014.
- Olympus NDT. Introduction to Phased Array Ultrasonic Technology Applications. Third printing, 2007; ISBN 0-9735933-4-2.
- Lamarre A. Improved Ultrasonic Phased Array Inspection of Small Diameter Pipes. — In: 4th International CANDU In-service Inspection Workshop and NDT in Canada 2012 Conf. — Toronto: 2012, June 18–21.
- Methodik für das Vorgehen bei Qualifizierung von zerstörungsfreien Prüfungen (VGB-ENIQ-Richtlinie)/VGB-R 516. — Essen: VGB PowerTech, 2010. — 27 S.