2015. Vol.18. No. 3, pp. 48-52
Again about Automation of Digital X-Ray Image Interpretation
Method. Analysis and interpretation of images were made using "X-Vizor" software by “Newcom-NDT”.
Results. Studies have shown that the straight and elliptical seam areas could be recognized automatically. It provides the possibility for a signal-noise ratio to be automatically measured. Wire image quality indicators and grooving gages also could be recognized automatically in approximately 80% cases. So it is possible to automatically calculate the sensitivity of the inspection. It is also achievable to automatically determine the basic spatial resolution using duplex wire image quality indicator. But the task of automation of defect recognition is still not solved. The possible alternative was offered. It is semi automation of defects recognition and analysis. This procedure needs the human to take part in image interpretation process.
Conclusion. The conclusion is that the total automation of digital X-Ray image interpretation of welded joints is now unavailable. Nevertheless using automation algorithms in all parts of interpretation process where it is possible can highly increase the performance of the inspection and its reliability.
Keywords: Recognition of image objects, automatic defect recognition, digital X-Ray image, signal-to-noise ratio, basic spatial resolution
1. Dech A. V. V mire NK [NDT World]. 2014, no. 2(64), pp. 21–24 (in Russ.).
2. ISO/FDIS 17636-2. Non-destructive testing of welds — Radiographic testing. Part 2: X- and gamma-ray techniques with digital detectors. 2013-01-15.
3. EN 14784-1. 2. Non-destructive testing — Industrial computed radiography with storage phosphor imaging plates. Part 1: Classification of systems. Part 2: General principles for testing of metallic materials using X-rays and gamma rays.
4. GOST 7512-82. Kontrol nerazrushayushchiy, soedineniya svarnye, radiograficheskiy metod [Nondestructive testing. Welded joints. Radiography method], IPK Izdatelstvo Standartov, Moscow, 1982 (in Russ.).
5. ASTM E 2597-07. Standard Practice for Manufacturing Characterization of Digital Detector Arrays. 2007.