2015. . No. 1(67) - Mar 2015, pp. 50-55
Use of CIVA Simulation Software for Development and Validation of Ultrasonic Testing Techniques
The testing technique with the use of acoustic antenna arrays has been simulated; simulation examples for testing technique parameters optimization are given. Minimal arrays quantity and their exact position on the tested object, necessary for detecting all the defects in the tested area, are defined. Functionality of the testing scheme has been estimated by test-specimen measuring results.
Estimation of possibility to detect and record all the defects of prescribed sizes within the tested area is demonstrated. The example of testing technique correction based on simulation results is given.
The curve of defect location probability dependence on their sizes (POD-curve) has been calculated using simulation of automated ultrasound testing technique for transversal defects detection in welded joint of 325 mm in diameter. Planar flaw models with inclination within от –3° ÷ +3° from vertical and azimuth angles within –3° ÷ +3° from the welded joint axis. Calculation results are compared with the ones after experiments.
Keywords: automated ultrasound testing (AUST), CIVA, simulation, parameter optimization, detectability, POD
1. RD EO 0487–05. Tipovye trebovaniya k poryadku razrabotki Tekhnicheskogo zadaniya, provedeniyu ispytaniy i usloviyam primeneniya sredstv i metodik ekspluatatsionnogo nerazrushayushchego kontrolya na obektakh ispolzovaniya atomnoy energii [Standard requirements for the order of Requirements Specification development, testing procedure and operational NDT instruments and methods application conditions for objects that use nuclear energy.]. Moscow, Rosenergoatom, 2006.
2. European Methodology for Qualification of Non-Destructive Testing, ENIQ Report no. 2, EUR EN 17299. Brussels-Luxembourg: European Commission, 1997.
3. European Methodology for Qualification of Non-Destructive Testing (3rd Issue). ENIQ Report no. 31, EUR 22906 EN. Luxembourg: European Commission, 2007.
4. Methodology for Qualification of In-Service Inspection Systems for WWER Nuclear Power Plants, IAEA-EBP-WWER-11. Vienna: IAEA, 1998, 65 pp.
5. ENIQ Recommended Practice 6: The use of modelling in inspection qualification. Issue 1. ENIQ Report no. 15, EUR 19017 EN. Brussels-Luxembourg: European Commission, 1999.
6. Basov К. А. ANSYS dlya konstruktorov [ANSYS for designers]. Moscow, DMK Press, 2009, 248 p. (in Russ.).
7. Attestatsionny passport programmnogo sredstva no. 329 ot 18.04.2013. [Certification software passport no. 329,18.04.2013]. Moscow, Rostekhnadzor, FBU “NTTs YaRB” (in Russ.).
8. Akustika okeana [Acoustics of the ocean]. Moscow, Nauka, 1974, 693 pp. (in Russ.).
9. Kravtsov Yu. A., Orlov Yu. I. Geometricheskaya optica neodnorodnykh sred [Geometrical optics of inhomogeneous medium]. Moscow, Nauka, 1980, 304 pp. (in Russ.).
10. Ultrasonic Wave Propagation in Non Homogeneous Media: Springer Proc. in Phys. V. 128. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, 2009, 435 pp.
11. Borovikov V. A., Kinber B. Е. Geometricheskaya teoriya difraktsii [Geometrical theory of diffraction]. Moscow, Svyaz, 1978, 248 p. (in Russ.).
12. Huang R., Schmerr L., Sedov A. A. J. Nondestructive Evaluation. 2006, v. 25, no. 3, pp. 139–154.
13. Berens A. P., Hovey P. W. Evaluation of NDE Reliability Characterization. AFWAL-TR-81-4160, V. 1, Air Force Wright Aeronautical Laboratories, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, December 1981.
14. RD EO 0488–03. Metodicheskie rekomendatsii po otsenke dostovernosti sredstv i metodik nerazrushayushchego kontrolya [Methodical recommendations on reliability assessment of NDT means and techniques]. Moscow, Rosenergoatom, 2005.
15. Georgiou G. Probability of Detection (PОD) curves. Derivation, applications and limitations. HSE Res. Rep. 454, 2006.