2016. Vol.19. No. 1, pp. 5-7
New Ideas for Active Thermal Inspection
Method. This paper describes in short some new approaches to T/I NDT with emphasis being made on research conducted at National Tomsk Polytechnic University. LED heating is illustrated by applying the thermal wave technique to the detection of corrosion in metals.
Results. Two examples of commercial prototypes of T/I NDT units are given. Some examples of inductive and low-energy ultrasonic stimulation are presented.
Conclusion. T/I NDT techniques provide solutions for testing composites and metals where defects cannot be detected by using common testing techniques and the inspection procedure should be non-contact, fast and safe.
Keywords: thermal testing, infrared thermography, LED, image processing
1. Vollmer M., Möllmann K.-P. Infrared thermal imaging: Fundamentals, research and applications. — Weinheim, Germany: Wiley-VCH, 2010. — 611 p.
2. Pickering S. G., Chatterjee K., Almond D. P., Tuli S. LED optical excitation for the long pulse and lock-in thermographic techniques. — NDT & E International. 2013. V. 58. P. 72–77.
3. Vavilov V. P. Thermal NDT: historical milestones, state-of-the-art and trends. — QIRT. J. 2014. V. 11, No. 1. P. 66–83.
4. Vavilov V. P., Burleigh D. D. Review of pulsed thermal NDT: Physical principles, theory and data processing. — NDT & E International. 2015. V. 73. P. 28–52.
5. Kaczmarek M., Nowakowski A., Suhowirski M. Active dynamic thermography in cardiosurgery. — QIRT J. 2007. V. 4. No. 1. P. 107–123.
6. Vavilov V. P., Chulkov A. O., Derusova D. A., Pan Y. Thermal NDT research at Tomsk Polytechnic University. — QIRT J. publish. online 28 Jan. 2016.
7. Chulkov A. O., Gaverina L., Pradere C. et al. Water detection in honeycomb composite structures using terahertz thermography. — Russ. J. of Nondestructive Testing. 2015. V. 51. No. 8. P. 520–523.
8. Solodov I., Derusova D., Rahammer M. Thermosonic Chladni figures for defect-selective imaging. — Ultrasonics. 2015. V. 60. P. 1–5.
9. Shepard S. Temporal noise reduction, compression and analysis of thermographic image data sequences. U. S. Patent No. 6516084, 2003.
10. Pilla M., Klein M., Maldague X., Salerno A. New absolute contrast for pulsed thermography. — In: Proc. of Quantitative Infrared Thermography Conf. — Dubrovnik, Croatia, 24–27 Sept. 2002, p. 53–58.
11. Vavilov V. P., Pavar S. S. A novel approach for one-sided thermal nondestructive testing of composites by using infrared thermography. — Polymer Testing. 2015. V. 44. P. 224–233