2015. Vol.18. No. 4, pp. 49-53
About Inspection of Marine Shafts and Workpieces
The article presents the operational procedure for inspection of blanks for shafts and rudder stocks as well as estimates the capabilities of shipyards to fulfill the inspection. Ways and techniques for different types defect detection are given; the necessary equipment is described; methodology peculiarities for flaw detector adjustment are indicated; recommendations for transducer selection are presented. The standard specimens used for workpiece inspection are described in detail.
For used propeller shafts the procedure of preparation a shaft for testing is given as well as the sequence of testing operations including those for shafts with pressed-on bushes. Schemes for base metal testing of shafts, key-seats, shafts with pressed-on bushes, fillet zones are also presented. The article also indicates the regulatory documents according to which the quality of workpieces of shafts and used shafts should be estimated.
It is shown by the real examples that timely fulfilled testing prevents emergency situations. The offered testing techniques ensure detection of inadmissible defects.
Keywords: ultrasonic inspection, blank for shaft, propeller shaft, rudder stock, shaft with pressed-on bush
1. GOST 24507-80. Kontrol nerazrushayushchiy. Pokovki iz chernykh i tsvetnykh metallov. Metody ultrazvukovoy defektoskopii [Nondestructive testing. Forgings of ferrous and non-ferrous metals. Ultrasonic methods of flaw detection]. Moscow, Izdatelstvo Standartov, 1980 (republishing 1993), 11 p. (in Russ.).
2. GOST 8536-79. Zagotovki, sudovykh valov i ballerov ruley. Tekhnicheskie trebovaniya [Blanks for marine shafts and rudder stocks. Specifications]. Moscow, Izdatelstvo standartov, 1979 (in Russ.).
3. OST 5.9125-84. Pokovki stalnye. Obshchie tekhnicheskie usloviya [Steel forgings. General specifications]. 1984, 39 p. (in Russ.).
4. Rozina M. V., Yablonik L. M., and Vasilev V. D. Nerazrushayushchiy kontrol v sudostroenii / Spravochnik defektoskopista [Nondestructive testing in shipbuilding. Reference book for NDT practitioners]. Leningrad, Sudostroenie, 1983, 271 p. (in Russ.).
5. OST 5R.9675-88. Kontrol nerazrushauschiy. Zagotovki metallicheskie. Ultrazvukovoy metod kontrolya sploshnosti [Nondestructive testing. Metal blanks. Ultrasonic method of continuity testing]. 1988 (in Russ.).