2015. Vol.18. No. 4, pp. 72-75
Experimental Research of Flaw Detection Technique at Manual Ultrasonic Testing of Railway Rolling Stock Elements
Method. The method of discontinuity type determination includes: measuring amplitude characteristics of echo signals from the detected defect on the frequency of 2.5 and 5.0 MHz; calculation a defect form-factor; comparing the form-factor with the certain limit values, one of which corresponds to a planar defect and the other corresponds to a volume defect. The defect is considered planar/volume, if its form-factor differs from the appropriate limit value by no more than 30%. The method gives an opportunity to determine types for both point and extensive defects.
For the experiment a sample was manufactured, in which various artificial reflectors of different types and dimensions were made. The type of each reflector was determined with dual-frequency method. The relative error and reliability of type determination were calculated.
Results. Experimental studies have shown that reliability of defect type determination with dual-frequency method is quite high. The average accuracy of point defect determination has been 97,389%; extensive defect determination has been 93,588%.
Keywords: UT, technical diagnostics, pulse echo techniques, flaw detection, dual-frequency method, form-factor, discontinuity limit value
1. Aleshin N. P., Belyy V. E., Vopilkin A. Kh. i dr. Metody akusticheskogo kontrolya metallov [Acoustic testing of metals. Methods]. Moscow, Mashinostroenie, 1989. 456 p. (in Russ.).
2. Kireev A. N. Zalіznichniy transport Ukraїni [Railway transport of Ukraine, Ukraine], 2011, no. 2, pp. 60–62 (in Russ.).
3. Kireev A., Kirichenko I. Perfection of methods of determination of type of defect at the ultrasonic control of elements of rolling stock of railways. TEKA. Commision of motorization and energetics in agriculture. Lublin – Lugansk, 2012, v. 12, no. 3, pp. 58–61.
4. Kireev A. N., Shevchenko A.I., Gorobchenko A.N. In: Zbіrnik naukovikh prats DonІZT [Collection of Scientific Papers of Donetsk University]. Donetsk, 2012, no. 32, pp. 158–161 (in Russ.).
5. Kireev A. N. Vestnik Rostovskogo Gos. universiteta putey soobshcheniya [Vestnik RGUPS]. 2015, no. 2(58), pp. 24–30 (in Russ.).
6. Ermolov I.N. Teoriya i praktika ultrazvukovogo kontrolya [Theory and Practice of Ultrasound Testing]. Moscow, Mashinostroenie, 1981. 240 p. (in Russ.).