2015. Vol.18. No. 4, pp. 42-48
Special Features of Reactor Coolant Pipe Inspection Exampled by Testing of Weld Specimen
Method. Real fragments of RCP weld joints Du580 were chosen for the experiment. Phased array ultrasonic flaw detector OmniScan MX was used as a testing instrument; testing data were analyzed and interpreted with TomoView software. Chemical analysis was fulfilled with PMI Master UVR and Olympus DELTA devices.
Results. Fragments of RCP weld joints Du580 have been examined. Chemical analysis results have confirmed that a portable X-ray fluorescence analyzer can be used for determining the main alloying elements. Benefits and drawbacks of phased array ultrasonic testing for RCP weld joints have been revealed; recommendations for time corrected gain adjustment and pulse repetition frequency selection have been given; questions of improvement of testing productivity and quality have been considered.
Conclusion. Application of phased array at ultrasonic testing of complex and important objects increases objectivity of the testing results. Using real fragments of reactor coolant pipe as specimens for adjustment makes it possible both to avoid interpretation mistakes and develop detailed testing techniques.
Keywords: ultrasonic testing, phased array, reactor coolant pipe, specimen, weld joint
1. GOST R 54153-2010. Metod atomno-emissionnogo spektralnogo analiza [Steel. Method of atomic emission spectral analysis]. Moscow, Standartinform Publ., 2012.
2. RD EO 0669-2006 (with amendments 1 2013). Stali i splavy truboprovodov i elementov oborudovaniya atomnykh stantsiy. Opredelenie khimicheskogo sostava metodom atomno-emissionnogo spektralnogo analiza. Metodicheskaya instruktsiya [Steels and alloys for nuclear power plants pipelines and equipment. Chemical composition determination using atomic emission spectral analysis. Operation instructions]. Moscow, Rosenergoatom Publ., 2006.
3. MFAR.AE1.MB/13.K-13. Metodika ultrazvukovogo kontrolya koltsevykh svarnykh soedineniy perlitnykh truboprovodov s primeneniem tekhnologii fazirovannykh reshetok [Ultrasonic testing technique for pearlitic pipeline testing with the use of phased array technology]. Moscow, Rosenergoatom Publ., 2013.
4. MTsU-1-2012. Metodika ultrazvukovogo kontrolya svarnykh soedineniy glavnogo tsirkulyatsionnogo truboprovoda energoblokov AES s ispolzovaniem tekhnologii fazirovannykh reshetok [Ultrasonic testing technique for reactor coolant pipe weld joints inspection with the use of phased array technology]. Moscow, Rosenergoatom Publ., 2013.
5. PNAE G-7-030-91. Unifitsirovannye metodiki kontrolya osnovnykh materialov (polufabrikatov), svarnykh soedineniy i naplavki oborudovaniya i truboprovodov atomnykh energeticheskikh ustanovok. Ultrazvukovoy kontrol. Chast II. Kontrol svarnykh soedineniy i naplavki [Uniform methods of control of basic materials (semi-finished product), welded joints and cladding of equipment and pipelines of nuclear power plants. Ultrasonic examination. Part II. Testing of welding and cladding]. Мoscow, Atominform Publ., 1992.